Sunday, July 18, 2021

Boy Underground

Boy Underground Boy Underground by Catherine Ryan Hyde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I started this book by Catherine Ryan Hyde I expected to read an amazing book as her other books were so great.  When it started off different I was surprised that I wasnt thrilled with it.  It was a story of friends - Suki, Nick, Ollie and Stephen which takes place the beginning of a war, the middle and the end of which brings us through many decades of friendship.

I was prepared to make this a 3 star read but the more I read the book the book hooked I was.  The friendship of these men was amazing, heartwarming and chilling.  When the bombing of Pearl Harbor draws the US into World War II, Suki and his family are forced to leave their home for the internment camp at Manzanar. Ollie enlists in the army and ships out. And Nick must flee. Betrayed by his own father and accused of a crime he didn’t commit, he turns to Steven for help. Hiding Nick in a root cellar on his family’s farm, Steven acts as Nick’s protector and lifeline to the outside world.

It takes place at a time when people were more narrow minded and not so forgiving.  So what I am saying is stay with the story because it will bring you to tears and make your heart wrench because friendship is what it is all about.  #fivestars #kindleunlimited

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment