Thursday, August 15, 2019

Review: Stay

Stay Stay by Catherine Ryan Hyde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wasnt sure about this book. I received an ARC from NetGalley but it wasnt my usual genre - mystery/thriller/psychological so I wasnt prepared for what I read. The story starts with Lucas, a fourteen year old boy, who was very confused. His home was unsettling with his parents fighting all the time and as a teenager he had loads of questions about life. And no one to talk to.

His best friend, Connor wasnt much help either - having an unstable mom and being depressed himself. The story takes you through their friendship and relationship with Zoe, grandma-aged lady living in the woods who was responsible for the deaths of two children when the school bus she was driving veered off the road.

And from there the story took hold of me and wouldnt let go. It hit home a bit because it also covers the time of the Vietnam War which Lucas' brother served in and I grew up in that era. I found myself turning pages and reading every minute I could because the home life these boys had was what brought them to be closer and rely on each other for their well being.

Lucas' philosophy on life was amazing especially the book , in the second half, fast forwards 50 years and finds Lucas telling his stories to Connor's grandson.....who states "everyone dies in your story" to which Lucas replies: "If you think having and losing is so bad, try never having." So profound are the statements in this book. A must read. I was glad I read out of my usual genre.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment